Thursday, May 09, 2013

Liking that song from ... Wait... WHEN did you say that was released?!?

I just realized that Laid by James:


... was released in 1993. That's 20 years ago. That means that this song came out when many of this year's crop of juniors at university were born.

Which got me thinking: what was a major song when I was born; a song that would be the analogue to Laid for that 20-year-old junior? A song that would likely have been playing as a "soundtrack throughout my life"? (Well, I don't know if Laid would have played so often in the US, but it was all over the airwaves in the UK whilst I was living there.)

On the week of my birthday, the chart-topper in the US (for people interested in the UK chart-toppers for that week, here you go) was Undercover Angel (I said, "What?"):


...Da Doo Ron Ron (which I did hear quite often growing up) was climbing the charts, moving in at #2:


... Coming in at #3 was Looks Like We Made It, up two places:


... and Bill Conti's Gonna Fly Now (better known as the theme from Rocky) dropped from #1 to #4:


Looking through the list of the top 40 for that week, I notice Margaritaville (in at #9), another song that's dogged me my whole life,


Abba's Knowing Me, Knowing You (in at #19), a song that was on the cassette (and later, the CD) that my mom would play in the car,


Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles (at #21), and


Kenny Rogers' Lucille (#25).


ALSO: the main theme of StarWars debuted on the week I was born:


cool, but ... yeah, I'm getting old.

No comments: