Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A friend's blog: Uphill Both Ways

A friend and former classmate of mine has started a blog - Uphill Both Ways - about becoming a better commuter cyclist (and commuter driver, too):
I am a bicycle commuter. I don’t ride a bike recreationally, or for exercise. That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy sweating buckets on my way to work – I do! – but primarily, I ride to get places. And as a commuter, I want to be able to use the roads in my community safely and responsibly. Plenty of drivers drive like assholes, and plenty of cyclists ride like idiots, and I know I’ve fallen into both those categories, accidentally/ignorantly/unattentively. So I’m committing, first, to learning to abide by the rules of the road and take the steps I can to protect myself as a cyclist (helmet and chartreuse jacket? check!). And second, I’m going to learn to drive properly when there are bikes around.
As is written: "I always wanted to live somewhere where I could ride my bike to work. Then, one day, I started riding my bike to work. Now I live somewhere I can ride my bike to work." and as a fellow bike commuter, I have to say good continued luck with this project!

No comments: