Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reflection

I noticed on my trip to Scotland how many more non-Scots are living and working in Edinburgh as well as travelling to St Andrews. So, too, the number of Americans going to the university has also increased since I was a student. I (an American studying in Scotland) have become less-rare in the intervening years, and I don't know if that is a bad or good thing. On the one hand, having Americans living abroad only be good for them -- Americans being in the double position of being rather provincial-minded as well as knowing they belong to a superpower nation -- since there is so much that being a 'stupid foreigner' can do for one's humility and worldliness. Of course, the coarse sounds of some American accents does make for a jarring break back to reality as one walks through a throng of people.

1 comment:

Morganza said...

My Belgian host father used to make fun of me after listening to my phone conversations with my mother. "American english," he would say, "sounds like someone speaking with a hot potato in the mouth."