Monday, April 27, 2009

Cars were apparently larger in the past...

If this picture was made today, I would have categorized it as a Photoshop-fail. However, it comes from the early 1900s. I mean, the cars are all so BIG... the small specks next to the parked car are people! (And the trolley is sooo small!) Maybe only giants - that have since gone extinct - drove cars... Or people were more wealthy than Richie Rich!

Here is a real photograph from the Freep archives. This one taken sometime during the 1950s (I think). There are actually trees there, with grass in between. The building - Gotham-like though it may be - is actually beautiful in its own way.

The Detroit Free Press has a bunch of "current" photos of the inside of this now-shell of a building. There is a chance (again) that the building will be torn down. I think that it would be a shame, since the restoration of the building could be seen as part of a rennaissance of the Motor City. Still, who am I to judge? I never lived in Detroit, and have only visited there twice in all the time that I've lived in southeast Michigan...

(photos from the Detroit Free Press. Hat tip to Orac.)

No comments: