Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Going to Chile. Need to do some shopping.

I found out that I'll be attending the PASI workshop in Concepcion, Chile during most of August. Luckily, it will be "fully-funded" (i.e., I'll be reimbursed once I get there). However, in going there, I'll need to stock up on some supplies and upgrades.

In addition to purchasing some more jeans (had to buy some anyway), collared shirts (unlike collared greens, although some might be green), and socks, I thought seriously about taking this opportunity to upgrade my laptop. However, I have some pause. The main reason is because of the possibility of having my computer confiscated, and I don't want to have to worry about that with a new computer. However, I'm looking at a 20-hour travel time between D-town and Concepcion, so I'm thinking about purchasing some electronic toys and tools.
The first two items I'm getting for my own use for the trip (some CivRev ought to pass the time nicely on the flight to Chile). Similarly, the N810 has the ability to operate as a internet browser and Skype phone (no expensive calls back from Chile - so long as I'm online). The used laptop I'm going to get because I can wipe the hard drive and install Linux (something that I've really wanted to do for a while) and use as my "main travel computer". All the other stuff are included to ensure that I won't have to worry about blowing my precious new electronic gear due to voltage issues.

I probably should also get a guide for things to do in Concepcion, since I'll be "on the town" for a few days after the workshop... I know that I can get good wine, coffee, olive oil, and hearts-of-palm. I know that there is a nice university there (which is where the conference will be held). I also know that it will be winter there (ahhh... the coolness! I can feel it already!), and is likely to be rainy. I'd like to purchase some things for my brother, his fiancée, my parents, my lab-mates, and my committee (as well as myself). I'm not one to just purchase a bunch of tsotchkes, but we'll see what there is on offer.

I can promise photos whilst I'm there.

No comments: