Friday, March 31, 2006

Weather: Changeable

So, it was supposed to be rainy today, with lots of thunder and lightning. Work is going very, very, VERY slowly. I'm finding that I am not making very much progress - I'm fatigued for some odd reason, too.

Correlation values for different variables.... How to relate (modeled) water temperature to trout abundance... How to relate (measured) water temperature variance to changes in flow... All these things I am trying to figure out (somewhat unsuccessfully at the present time)...

It's approaching 3:30PM, and I need a pick-me-up... (As I'm in the habit of using too many ...'s when I'm tired...)

A slightly odd juxtaposition: Charlotte Church singing "Voi Che Sapete" in the Institute of Fisheries Research building's attic offices, and (OMG!) a smattering of sunlight through the obliquily-placed window that is my only connection to the outdoors. Occasionally, I hear a guy walking to and from classes singing a song (most likely playing on his music device). Of course calling it "singing" stretches the notion slightly; belting-it-out is more like it. The acoustics of this part of campus ensures that there is a definite "ringing" quality to all noises above a certain decibel, and (let me tell you) he surpasses that point easily. He's not that big of a guy, either; slighly about average height, somewhat atheletic build, long hair, mutton chop sideburns, wears a black trenchcoat (apparently regardless of the weather), but obviously has good (nay, GREAT) breath support. That he can apparently carry a tune at that level of volume is also amazing.

What is odd about the whole thing, though, is the complete and utter lack of any reaction from people passing by on the sidewalk. Not a glance, not a comment regarding his singing (disparaging, or otherwise), nothing. It's like watching that scene from Schindler's List, the one with the girl in the red dress. You feel like the only person in the world who notices the person, who, to you, is so obvious. Perhaps they are thinking, "Don't look at the crazy loud man walking this way." But they don't look at him as he passes, nor snigger to each other if traveling in a group, which is also odd.

I think he works at the Pizza House restaurant in town (there can't be that many people with his hair styling, build, gait, and face in this town).

No comments: